Home / Economy, Employment and Growth / WHITE PAPER: New Workforce Realities | Organisation & Leadership 2020

WHITE PAPER: New Workforce Realities | Organisation & Leadership 2020

As our world becomes more  global and interconnected, the demands on you as a leader, manager and employee become increasingly challenging. To act and contribute as a manager and employee, strategic, organizational and leadership processes are necessary.

Success depends on your ability to engage and interact with others and work together toward a common goal.

Leadership plays an important part in the success of any organisation. In the absence of effective leadership no organisation can work efficiently. OD activities intervene in the system, to improve the way the organisation functions to better serve the business.
Research reveals that employees utilise 60% of their capability. If the manager uses his leadership ability and motivates his subordinates the remaining 40% of their capability can also be utilised.

Εικόνα4Organisation development improves leadership

The importance of leadership is highlighted by the following actions:

  • Helps in Influencing the Culture
  • Helps Subordinates in Fulfilling their Roles
  • Helps in Introducing Required Changesdownloadi
  • Helps in Solving Conflicts Effectively
  • Helps in Training and Development of Subordinates

Data gathering is an active part of the OD intervention. Data gathering is itself part of the learning and improvement intervention. The conversations begin to change perceptions and influence attitudes towards improvement and change.

Here is a list of detailed points that shows how OD interventions improve leadership:

  • Keeps focused on the end result; that is, improved and appropriate leadership practice in the organisation that benefits the enterprise.
  • Diagnoses an organisation’s unique leadership culture (‘what leadership is like round here’), where it is functional and dysfunctional in relation to the enterprise’s aims, and attempts to improve its characteristics.
  • Ensures that appropriate systems are in place, and excessive restraints absent, to support the application of sound leadership.
  • Recognises that the organisation itself is often an obstacle to leadership being practised, and identifies and removes any such barriers.
  • Ensures that all HR activities that bear on leadership are joined up, and that leadership talent is appropriately defined, acquired, recognised, developed, utilised, appraised, promoted, rewarded, retained and terminated.
  • Examines the nature of the gap between what organisations say and do around leadership (rhetoric versus reality), and seeks to bring them closer together.
  • Is clear about the difference between leadership and management and what this means for the organisation, for the process of change and for securing the organisation’s future.
  • Views leadership as a component in a holistic systems model for understanding organisational dynamics, performance delivery and the process of change.
  • Uses systems principles to apply leadership to improve the way the organisation works as a system.
  • Has a clear understanding of what the organisation needs more of and less of if it is to succeed, and the implications for leadership.
  • Understands the business’s need for improved leadership; what leadership is currently most needed for, to what it will be applied, and what it needs to achieve.
  • Clarifies what it considers to be appropriate and inappropriate leadership, and how leadership in future will need to be different.
  • Specifies what groups, levels and roles will be expected to deploy leadership.
  • Identifies the organisational challenges and agenda that will be used to provide a real-live context for individual leadership development.
  • Balances and integrates demand- and supply-side strategies.
  • Uses diagnosis, assessment and development to directly target the organisation.
  • Ensures that the organisation actively shapes the leadership strategy by contributing its own direct needs and change agenda, purpose, direction, challenges, dynamics, culture, climate, system, structure, processes, definitions and funds.
  • Puts the onus firmly on the organisation and challenges it to think deeply about its own requirements, where the organisation needs to be taken, and how leadership will be used to change its future and the way it works.
Based on  ‘Leadership and Organisation Development’ in The Search for Leadership: An Organisational Perspective

About Dimitra D.

Check Also

VIDEO Series: Mindfulness for Senior Executives

Harvard University social psychology professor Ellen Langer says organizations can make better decisions by setting …